I absolutely love these little quart-sized baggies! I've been raving about them since the beginning of this school year and finally have a moment to put up a tutorial for you. Sorry for the long wait!
Here's what you need:
- Exterior: 2 rectangles of cotton fabric 7.5" x 9.25"
- Interior: 2 rectangles of 2mil PUL (poly-urethane laminate) 7.5" x 9.25" *this is the wipe-able component of this baggie. You can order some from here or at JoAnn Fabrics! **I was happy to see my local JoAnn store carry PUL now!
- 7.25" strip of 3/4 inch wide velcro
- Optional: small scrap of muslin and Heat-n-Bond Lite for a label
- Fabric Marker
1) Stitch a strip of velcro to the top end (short side) of the interior lining. Place the strip 5/8 inch from the top edge of the right side (as in not the wrong side). Stitch in place.
2) Following instruction on the Heat-n-Bond Lite, iron on a 2.5" x 1" strip to the front side of one of your exterior pieces. I placed mine at the bottom right corner, and used zig-zag scissors to give it fun edges. Stitch around the piece to reinforce it in place (will help it to last through many washings!).
3) With right sides together, stitch exterior pieces together on all sides except the top edge. Use 1/4 inch seam allowance. Do the same for the interior pieces, except leave a 3 inch opening along the bottom edge for turning.
4) Slip interior into exterior with right sides facing each other. Line up side seams and pin top raw edges together. Stitch using 1/4 inch seam allowance.
5) Turn right sides out and top-stitch along the top edge for a finished look. I used a 1/8 inch seam allowance. Stitch another seam just below the bottom edge of the velcro. This encases the velcro and will help the baggie keep its shape as it's open and closed, repeatedly. Plus, it gives the baggie a nice, finished look!
6) Stitch the opening of the interior of the bag that you used to turn the piece earlier. Congratulations! You are finished! You can use a fabric marker to write a name on the baggie. My son uses his for a snack baggie for school each day. *Not recommended for hot foods. Can be washed by hand or in the machine.